Thursday, 30 April 2009

Questionaire

1. CONTEXT: In what ways is this piece of work sustainable?
My work highlights the problems caused by over consumption of plastic bottles and aims to encourage the audience to think and use a bottle for life. Through presenting various statistics accompanied by visuals of bottles crawling from bushes and bins, this 37-second advert promotes a sustainable lifestyle whilst leaving a minimal carbon footprint through being digital.

2. CRITERIA: What are the criteria that define your design/artwork as ‘good’?  
Being an advert that promotes conscientious behaviour this design achieves ‘good’ status through informing its audience of the already existing problems regarding the production and elimination of plastic bottles. Accompanied by a serious yet motivating instrumental track the message is highlighted using exciting visuals and bright colours, which ends with offering a solution.

3. MATERIALS: What results have you found by applying Life Cycle Analysis to every material you have employed? Where are there still problems? 
Having analysed the life cycle of plastic bottles I was motivated to make this short clip. Discovering all the problems and inconveniences that are caused by plastic it became obvious that I had to create a advert that would highlight this problem as opposed to encourage re-cycling as most people do when tackling the problem of plastic bottles. With plastic bottles it is not about recycling the, it s about just not using them.

4. INFLUENCE: What research/facts/statistics/knowledge have directly influenced your work? 
Every statistic that I found in relation to waste rates influenced this piece of work.  Finding out about the life cycle of a plastic bottle and how unhealthy it is drink out of plastic bottles really motivated me to want to promote change. 

Who is the audience for the work? In what way do you hope it will influence an audience? 
The intended audience of this piece is the English speaking plastic bottle consumer.  Anybody that drinks bottled water daily without thinking about its repercussions.  Although a very broad spectre I believe that everybody that consumes plastic bottles should be made aware of the problems caused by plastic bottles and be taught the alternatives.  My piece is designed to be played on television thus it is logical that the audience is quite broad.

What ‘environment’ are you protecting/changing with this piece of work? 
With this piece I am intending to protect the environment that is otherwise damaged by the production and elimination if plastic bottles.   Areas that may be used as landfills, workers who’s job it is to melt the bottles when it comes to recycling as well as our general landscapes such as fields and beaches that are ever more polluted by plastic bottles

How does this design/artwork incorporate elements of your own design manifesto? 
My design manifesto states that good design must educate in a universal language. Although the message is written in English, the language used is simple and to the point meaning that all that read it will understand. My manifesto also states that good design must supply to demand and not create new demand which my advert also includes as it is promoting the use of an already existing product- Sigg bottle for life. My final point is good design is common sense which is what this advert strives to promote.

5. PURPOSE: What factors helped you decide to do the project you have chosen? 
Before this project began I new I wanted to focus plastic bottles. To me plastic bottles are a short-term practicality with severe long-term consequences.  Knowing that I wanted to reach as many people as possible the most obvious way was to create an advert that would ideally be played on prime time television. 

6. VISUAL CULTURE: How have you made decisions regarding the visual nature/qualities/  icons you have employed? 
The bottles used for the advert are range of brands, sizes and colours to show that any plastic bottle can be replaced. I chose to use a Sigg bottle at the end because I believe them to be the best plastic bottle alternative as they are durable with a life long guarantee.
The music was chosen because it is slightly epic with a motivational ending. It is instrumental which was necessary as not to over complicate the message.

In what ways does your work appear ‘green’? Are you satisfied by this? 
My work appears to be green in that it is educating people to become green. Using simplicity, visuals and audio I am very satisfied with my piece of work

7. DIFFICULTIES: What problems did you face whilst working on this project? 
When working on the project I encountered the problem of not knowing how to include a message. I originally wanted to have voices saying the facts however this would have required more organization on my behalf as recording sound is complex and not as simple as I thought it would be.  I also found it hard to choose a voice as accent influences what is being said a lot. 

8. SYSTEMS: What system, if any, does your piece of work belong to/interfere with/improve upon? Please explain. 
My work belongs to a national education program. I believe it to be something everybody should be made aware of and something that the government should be promoting as it is through the reduction of un-necessary commodities we can begin to save our planet and our pennies.
 

 I have learnt a lot during this elective and it has changed the way that I see and approach many situations. I have achieved a deeper understanding of sustainability and the problems which are caused by over consumption. I have a close relation to the work i have produced and feel  motivated  to continue working with such issues in order to use my creative visions to create change.

No comments:

Post a Comment